Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Yesterday was one of those days where I feel like I'm living a movie, but in a good way (mostly). A big storm rolled through and knocked out power in town, I was a little bummed as I was supposed to go see Angels and Demons with my grandma, but there's always next time. The power went out at our house a little later so I ventured into town to the store to buy candles and formula. Upon walking into the store, I noticed all the lights were out and it was absolutely packed. Normally there are a bunch of people and it's hard to find a parking spot, but yesterday was the most packed I've seen it out of all the times I've been there. I went there assuming it'd be dead and everyone would be holed up in their homes, hiding from the storm. I was very wrong. The only candles I could find were birthday candles, so I snagged two of the number candles - both zeros - and headed home. I went the back way home, because it's a much prettier drive, even if the speed limit is 35 mph less on that road. On my way, I stopped at the cemetary and paid my respects to my grandpa and great grandpa who had served in the military. They had a memorial area for veterans, white crosses with flags stuck in the top of them and each cross had a name on it. My uncle told me they'd forgotten to put a cross up for my grandpa and I was disappointed about that, so I made my way over to his grave and had a one-sided conversation with him, telling him that I miss him and it's hard to believe it's been 12 years already. During the party we had on Friday night, I had a drunken cryfest with my uncle about my grandpa and I told him about how I'd put flowers on his grave on the 12 year anniversary last month, and he told me that Grandpa would've been more appreciative had I put them on his mother's grave instead. I didn't know her at all, I was young when she died, so I didn't know that, but I said next time I'd do it. And I said that to my grandpa when I was standing at his grave. It was a bit on the depressing side and for as good a mood I was in, I still started to cry as I walked back to my car. Most people wouldn't think of that as a beautiful moment, considering it was sad, but I'm a weird duck and I find beauty in things that most people find to be melancholy. I felt like it was very important for me to do it anyway, especially when a cousin of mine said something insulting that downplayed the importance of veterans who have fought for this country and made a big deal about how cops deserve to be remembered as well. Don't get me wrong, I agree they need to be remembered, but the men and women in the military make a far bigger sacrifice than police officers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment